Potential major adverse effects of flicker identified in published research and/or Expert Opinion include these five factors:
- Photoepilepsy or flashing-light induced seizure.
- Stroboscopic effect and associated apparent slowing or stoppage of rotating machinery.
- Migraine or severe paroxysmal headache often associated with nausea and visual disturbances.
- Increased repetitive behavior among persons with autism.
- Asthenopia, including eyestrain, fatigue, blurred vision, conventional headache, and decreased performance on sight-related tasks.