Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Seagate STBP12000100 12TB Business Storage 4-Bay NAS
Pros: Pros include ease of use, albeit slow, setup process.
Reasonable cost is also a factor, but keep reading ....
Cons: Bought this unit 11/2014; implementation was fairly smooth. A few thoughts:
1. Lower quality components than I would have expected in a business-class NAS device (desktop drives vs. NAS certified drives).
2. Firmware seems questionable; management portal periodically doesn't function or only shows partial functionality
3. Drive mapping and user credentials never persist session to session (WIN 7, 8.1 and 10). This requires me to either leave workstations powered up constantly or have users re-authenticate each time.
My biggest issue with this device is that within the last week, the device appeared to have flushed all data and returned to a blank (system state) format. Not only does this mean I've lost about 9TB of data (I did have backups, but unfortunately not all in one place) but the entire concept of a NAS storage device is to provide a stable, functional basis for storage.
Seagate support has been very difficult to engage on this.
Other Thoughts: Based on the above, I would recommend staying far away from this product.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: The Motherboard is very good (solid performance, stable operation) when functioning. Fairly easy installation (full size case) and straightforward operation, including easy BIOS adjustments - M.2 support was a nice bonus.
Cons: After approximately one month of ownership, the board stopped working. After trying multiple PSUs, reseating all components and disconnecting all non-essential peripherals - same result. Submitted an RMA with ASUS; final verdict will depend on how well that's handled.
Other Thoughts: If you're into OC and want a solid platform - this is a good motherboard. If you're less technical and just want reliability, this may not be a good choice.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: Very inexpensive laptop, quad-core, with Win7 (Win8 now with promotion). Good starter platform, with minimal bloatware - I had chosen this as a "starter" laptop for my middle school-aged child. As always with Newegg, ultra-fast shipping and excellent service.
Cons: Very disappointed with the overall platform and component integration. Windows 7 loadset has failed multiple times and even after several restores as well as a clean reload with MS TechNet media. I'm still having significant issues. Thus far, I have had:
1. Several unrecognized system components in the base loadset and even after loading ALL drivers from Acer's support site for this model
2. Unexplained freezes or hangs during normal operations, including the inability to fully shut down the system (hangs on final power off, requires a hold of the power button to fully shut down)
3. Very little manufacturer-provided support options, including the inability to obtain .INF or factor images for the base loadset. Additionally, driver packages seemed to be incomplete and there lacked an overall implementation priority or restoration guide following a clean install
4. A little bit picky, but the touchpad on the laptop was finicky; at times the corners responded slow or not at all and overall sensitivity was inconsistent. This was experienced with both the factory driver as well as Win7 drivers. I ultimately bought a USB keyboard and mouse combo to use with the system.
5. Finally ... and currently, the laptop will simply not load windows at all. Hangs following initial post, and even attempts to access BIOS-based boot order fail. This unit will be RMA'd ...
A minor nit is that the integrated graphics - which could be very good - is limited to 512MB. Not a huge deal with most day to day operations, but if you're looking for any graphics-intensive work, you may be better served by another platform.
Other Thoughts: I did notice that no more than two to three days following my purchase, Newegg discontinued this item. Kudos to them for taking this action, as this particular brand' s model isn't consistent with the quality and reliability I've come to depend on from Newegg. However, it was a bit frustrating as I would have likely chosen an alternative solution had I known ...READ FULL REVIEW