Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Xigmatek Elysium CCC-HSA0DS-U01 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Pros: - Plenty of space
- Plenty of cable management options
- Nifty fan headers to consolidate control of multiple case fans
Cons: - Build quality
Let me elaborate... The top grill/screen is warped. The case door is hard to remove probably because the case itself is bent. When I say hard to remove I don't mean it sticks either. I mean it's like giving birth. The lip that is meant to be a handle on the edge of the case side bent horribly while removing the door. Luckily, the door is flimsy enough that I was able to bend it back. Overall I am not happy with the value. If I had this to do over again I would opt for a case from a different company. I have had the opportunity to sample many cases from many different manufacturers and I would definitely not count this Xigmatek case as well built or premium even though the price tag says it should be. It's not CaseLabs money but it's 'still expensive. There are offerings from Lian-Li, Fractal and Corsair in the mid-tower space that are better values after you factor in build quality. I didn't research but I assume there are probably options in the super-tower space from those manufacturers as well.
Other Thoughts: This is the first enormous case I've bought. I typically buy mid-tower cases or at most full-tower cases. This super-tower case was a purchase to house a server with a lot of hard drives in hot-swap bays along the front. Even though the build quality is fairly bad it will serve its purpose well because it has the space to house the hot-swap bays and the options for cooling to keep them ventilated.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
Pros: There are a lot of fans. There is a lot of space for mounting hard drives and optical drives.
Cons: I was extremely disappointed by this case in almost every aspect. I did little research and bought it almost solely off the number of positive reviews because I was in a hurry to build two additional systems. I'm writing this review to counter all of the positive nonsense here.
- Cable Management - This case has no cable management. For 100 dollars I've bought far superior cases with sufficient cable management options to almost entirely hide or tidy all cables. This case has none. It doesn't even include enough zip ties to move things out of the way. You don't have any holes to run cable behind the motherboard. You don't have any space above, below or on the right side of the case to run cables. Cable management is abysmal for the price.
- Hard Drive Cages - The hard drive cages, while adequately cooled, are extremely annoying in that there is about a 3/4 inch space between the drive and the outside of the cage requiring you to use a custom screw that is about 1" long. This means you have to save your custom screws. In addition, you are required to use the only two mounting holes they provide. If you are mounting a SSD in a 2.5 to 3.5" tray adapter this can (definitely did in my case) cause problems. Again... a miserable experience.
- Gigantic Top Fan - This is good and bad... provides a lot of cooling. Not a common size so it's hard to replace. What's worse... it's installed onto a piece that is then riveted so that you can't remove it and replace it if you wanted to. I would say that's a definite drawback.
Bottom line... I have cases from 10 and 15 years ago that were designed well and are still in use. This case will not still be in use. Initial build was completely miserable. These builds are going to somebody else and I will never purchase another one of these. The case that immediately comes to mind in this price range that is superior in every aspect is the Fractal R4.
Other Thoughts: So many people have given this case good reviews. How? I have seen newegg's reviews of a product be off before but not typically on this scale. Public opinion fail or off-shore review generation win.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Pros: This case has a lot of space for all your toys. It's well built and it looks good. I don't any complaints about the design or layout of the holes.
Cons: It's heavy. Heavy like you can't believe.READ FULL REVIEW