Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - ASRock Instant Flash - great feature, but remember to remove all other USB 2.0 devices
Cons: - ASRock manual could use improvement. It's not horrible (just typical) but clear up the "Instant Flash" notes as below
Other Thoughts: COMPONENTS:
ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) - N82E16813157464
- mini PCI Express can run mSATA
- Feature rich, if you like that kinda thing
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2) x F3-2400C11D-8GXM - N82E16820231666
- Haven't had a bad batch yet
A10-7850K Kaveri 45W (in BIOS) AD785KXBJABOX /w Radeon R7 - N82E16819113359
- An oldie but still good
Noctua NH-L9a 92mm SSO2 CPU Cooler (N82E16835608030) /w Noctua NF-A9 PWM 92mm Case Fan - N82E16835608070 (set to 50% in "Fan-tastic Cooling")
- Heatsink quality is good, fan has MTTF of 150,000 hours nearly silent at 50% speed
SAMSUNG 850 EVO mSATA 500GB SATA III - N82E16820147411
- 5-year warranty. Was hoping for SSD WEI at 7.9 (disappointed)
NETIS WF2190 AC1200 Wireless High Gain USB 3.0 Adapter - N82E16833389035
- Consistent strong signal
IN WIN BQS656.DD120BL Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 120W External Adaptor Power Supply - N82E16811108417
- Nice compact case
Silverstone SOB02 Slim Slot Load 6x Blu-Ray Writer (bought from Memory Express)
Windows Ultimate 64 bit
Noctua cooler are high quality, cool well and their fans have great life expectancy and are quiet
FM2A88X-ITX+: Update of BIOS crashed when my PSU plug was removed by accident. At first , the "ASRock Crash Free BIOS" wouldn't work (I was choked at first since I couldn't reboot). I then removed all USB devices and tried the reboot....... viola! System updated to BIOS P3.20 running great.
A10-7850K Kaveri - TDP set to 45W in BIOS with very little performance loss
WEI Ratings (CPU TDP set to 45W)
Gaming Graphics 6.8
Processor only dropped 0.1 rating point when TDP reduced from 95W to 45W.
NETIS WF2190 works well, connects at 680 Mbps to my TP-LINK Archer C3200 AC3200 (N82E16833704258)
I though the Samsung mSATA SSD should have rated at 7.9 (seems slower than it should be).
MS Office starts nearly instantaneously, so you won't be disappointed.
NOTE to ASRock: Mention in the manual that the Owner must remove all USB 2.0 devices so the "Instant Flash" BIOS update will be initiated. I fiddled with this for half an hour before I realized this, hence -1 egg.
Overall I like the quality and features of the FM2A88X-ITX+ board. Compact, low TDP, enough processor power and nearly silent build.
Pros: - Not 140W TDP room heater
- No worthless stock heatsink and fan
Cons: - Poor performance gain, if any.
- Disappointingly large price considering the poor performance gain
Other Thoughts: Shrinking from 22nm to14nm should have seen better TDP reduction....READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: - Now has front USB 3.0
- Sturdy and well built
- Fit and finish are good
- Two 80mm case fans keep it cool and can be silent
Cons: - Front ODD door is a bit flimsy and the latch somewhat cheesey
Other Thoughts: Case is nice looking.
Very pleased with the mobo
Windows 7 64 bit WEI
7.5 memory at 2133MHz
6.8 Aero graphics
6.8 3D Graphice
NEAR SILENT HTPC:
- ASRock FM2A85X-ITX mobo
- G.SKILL Ares 8GB DDR3 2133 F3-2133C9D-8GAB
- Noctua NH-L9a 92mm SSO2 CPU Cooler with LNA
- Antec ISK 300-150 (it now has front USB 3.0)
- SAMSUNG Internal Slim 8x DVD SN-208DB/BEBET
- Qty(2) Noctua NF-R8-1800 with LNA fed by fan splitter
- Silverstone Model CPF01 PWM Fan Splitter for case fans