Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: Performance - Performance - Performance. This puppy's CPU is just a touch faster than a desktop i7-3770 which is amazing. The 880M is also the fastest GPU currently available for a laptop and it runs flawlessly. The Nvidia Optimus which allows users to pick which GPU will run is also a wonderful idea that works flawlessly. For instance, if I am plugged into a wall I can pick the Nvidia GTX 880M to play my games, but if I am on battery power and want to conserve power then I can pick the embedded Intel HD4600 to push the game. This is really useful. When I go on battery and my son wants to play minecraft, I can have him pick the HD4600 to run the game and it doesn't kill my battery immediately. The design of the chassis (besides one part I'll mention under Cons) is also awesome. It is a very small chassis for the the power that it has inside compared to other manufacturers. It is very slim and can easily be toted around without a huge backpack without looking silly. The chassis seems very solid except for a slight squeaking noise every once and a while due to some of the plastics. The lighted keyboard is very nice and high quality, although I do like Lenovo red lighted keyboards better. The matte display is perfect for me, I prefer matte. This is normally a personal choice. The yellow cover is fine by me, it gives the laptop a slightly different look then others and lets people know it means business without being too flashy like some that have LEDs and vents everywhere. The touchpad is very accurate and well made, although I always use a mouse. The cooling system is very efficient and the layout of the internals is easily upgraded. I bought another 8GB SO DIMM for the laptop to make 16GBs and it was super easy to get to and install. The HDD and the mSATA drives are also easily accessible, so it is really an upgraders laptop. Overall an awesome purchase and should last well into the future. Gigabyte has included some decent software that runs some of the functioning of the laptop and they don't have any bloatware at all, NONE...thank you Gigabyte!
Cons: Ok, this laptop is not perfect as there are a few flaws, I will list them below:
* The chassis, while solidly built, doesn't seem to want to sit snugly on a flat surface. It doesn't wobble or anything, but it can rotate quite easily because of a lack of a few rubber feet in good locations on the bottom. The battery and its built-in vents picks up the chassis off of some of the rubber feet. This is more of an annoyance than anything else.
* The lighted keyboard is nice, but I don't love that light can be seen from underneath the keys. I like the Lenovo style of lighting better where the light is shown through the sides of the keys, not from underneath. High quality light and feel on the keyboard, but lighting could be just a bit better.
* A lot of the surfaces (besides the yellow) are fingerprint magnets. Just a FYI
* The laptop has an optical drive and while that is fine, I would have preferred to not have one of those and have more USB connections and such. Optical drives are just not needed like they used to be, although this isn't truly a negative.
* Now on to the second biggest negative with this laptop. All the connections and such are on the side of the laptop. I would very much prefer all connections such as USB, audio, Ethernet and HDMI connections to come from the back of the device. This is not a deal-breaker, but I really don't like everything to be connected from the sides. The way the battery is designed, it forced Gigabyte to have all the connections on the side.
* OK, DEAL BREAKER --- Maybe??? This is a personal preference thing, but for my use, it is almost a deal breaker if the laptop wasn't so great at everything else. The internal speakers are one step away from being terrible! I love to have a full sounding laptop because I don't use a headset all of the time. These speakers are advertised as being great if you look at Gigabyte's materials, well they aren't. Yes, there are several speakers (5) and a sub, but they are sub-par. My HTC One (M8) SMARTPHONE has twice the volume and better clarity to boot. This is definitely the weakest link for this laptop IMHO. Plan on using attached speakers or a Bluetooth speaker if you want any real volume and sound. Again, close to being a deal-breaker for me as my previous MSI gaming laptop had much better speakers. Gigabyte - Fix this ONE little thing and you'll have a home-run!
Other Thoughts: I think Gigabyte has an excellent product on their hands here. When you combine the sheer performance with the price, you can't go wrong. There are many laptops out there that you'd pay $100s more for but don't have the performance of this unit.
The chassis is a pleasant departure from those HUGE chassis that are considered gaming laptops. The chassis and everything about this laptop oozes quality.
Speakers - Speakers - Speakers, this is the only almost terrible thing with this unit. I am currently surviving without great internal speakers, but for the quality of everything else, this is definitely a disappointment. That is the only reason the unit didn't get 5 eggs.
This review is from: Mad Catz M.O.U.S. 9 MCB437150002/04/1 Matte Black 10 1 x Wheel USB Laser Mouse
Pros: Super design if you already like the Mad Catz RAT series mouse. Solid feel and very nicely designed. Does work on almost any surface well. I don't have to take a mouse pad with me anymore when I am out. WORKS WITH BLUETOOTH 4.0 unlike what some others are saying. When I got mine originally, I thought it wasn't going to work either. The paperwork that comes with the device is wrong as how to pair the device. That is the problem. Here is how you do it in short: #1. Connect dongle to computer and use wireless connectivity initially. #2. Install the drivers from Mad Catz website. #3. When everything is working, remove the dongle and watch the Bluetooth light flash once a second. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART THAT IS MISSING FROM INSTRUCTIONS. #4. Hold the paddle button (button to the left of mouse click button) and precision button together for 5 seconds and wait for the Bluetooth light to start fading in and out. NOW IT'S READY TO PAIR! #5. Go into your Bluetooth setting on your laptop or other device and make it visible. The MOUS 9 will immediately show up and you can pair the device. After I followed this procedure, THE MOUSE WORKS PERFECTLY!!!
Cons: Ok, the mouse is designed well and feels like great quality, but it is not built as solidly as the RAT7 or Mad Catz other dedicated wired gaming mice. Another thing and is almost a deal breaker is that there is no dedicated DPI button where you can change the DPI settings of the mouse. For dedicated gamers this WILL be a deal-breaker. I am a gamer, but not 'out of my mind' dedicated gamer. This definitely doesn't perform as well as my RAT7. You have to use the provided software or Windows to adjust the speed of your pointer which is really inconvenient. Not a deal-breaker for me, but could be for others.
Other Thoughts: I have been using this mouse for a few days and am very familiar with Mad Catz gaming mice. I am using it for my gaming laptop through Bluetooth 4.0 so I can cut down on USB port use and it is perfect for my use!READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: Newegg shipping and return policies. Lenovo build quality and form factor.
Cons: The absolute worst mouse pad ever on a laptop in my experience. I read all kinds of reviews that mentioned that it was terrible, I mostly dismissed them. Boy, was I wrong to do that. It is truly awful as it jumps around when trying to click on the integrated buttons. Not having a touch screen makes it exponentially worse. Avoid this product if you plan on using as a mobile platform. I never realized how frustrating it could be clicking or trying to click on internet page buttons and missing them all the time. Lenovo MUST fix this.
Other Thoughts: The battery life is short, but is to be expected for such a graphic/gaming oriented laptop. The graphic performance of the laptop was uninspiring. It did fine, but not as good as I hoped. You can play top-tier games, but be prepared to lower the quality.READ FULL REVIEW