cover
Nick H.

Nick H.

Joined on 06/21/04

0
0

Product Reviews
product reviews
  • 4
Most Favorable Review

Awesome drive.

Western Digital RE3 WD2502ABYS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Western Digital RE3 WD2502ABYS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Pros: Can I go to 6 or 7 eggs please? I've used hundreds upon hundreds of these drives. They're such an improvement over the 2500YS drives (RE2 series, predecessor to this drive). Don't let the weight of these drives fool you (them being light = big plus)... these are extremely *SOLID* drives. I personally installed 2 of them in a RAID1 (seriously, better safe than sorry!) on my home machine and haven't had a single issue with either one of them. I've used *cases* of these things at work and the failure rate is way lower than other similar-spec drives. I refuse to use anything else (when I can get away with it) as primary drives in any of my systems. Outside of work I've built at least 12 Shuttle PCs with these as the primary drive. Not a *single* failure from any of those systems (8+ months of uptime).

Cons: Absolutely *none*

Overall Review: If you're wanting to cut weight of the system down and want something *EXTREMELY RELIABLE* then these are the drives to get. Warranty is awesome (but not normally needed) and the reliability of these things is awesome. Yeah, they're about 1/8th the weight of a "normal" drive, but who cares? They run cooler, they run quieter, they're lighter and they're rock solid. Hands down the top 250G drive available these days.

10/19/2009

Almost all good...

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Pros: Excellent company. Great warranty. Awesome product 98% of the time. Doesn't get too warm... installed this in numerous Shuttle PC's I've built and only had a few sticks fail.

Cons: Out of the *thousands* of sticks of Corsair I have used, about 98% of them are good. The other 2% start out OK... but after a couple of months the errors arise. Run through memtest and yeah, there's most definitely errors all over the place (8k before it locks the system). Good thing Corsair has such an easy warranty system. Took picture of screen, filled out forms, wait for RMA number. Simple, easy, clean and quick.

Overall Review: Just make sure you go back every once in a while and double-check the RAM. If you start seeing oddities in the OS (random threads crashing, odd core dumps) then run memtest on it. You'll see errors quickly if it's bad.

10/19/2009

Great Drive.

Western Digital RE3 WD2502ABYS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Western Digital RE3 WD2502ABYS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Pros: Light weight, quiet, works great in RAID setups (I'm using onboard ICH10R on a EP45-UD3R Board from Gigabyte.) I've used probably 200 of these drives @ home and @ work and they have a low failure rate.

Cons: Higher priced because they are "Enterprise" class drives. Of course, you pay for what you get. The higher price means longer/better warranty.

Excellent

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Pros: Best keyboard I've ever used. I now have over 12 of them in use in various places and I refuse to buy anyting else.

Cons: None.

Overall Review: If you want an ergo board that is good, comfortable and reliable, these are the ones to get.