Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - The laptop arrived quickly from Newegg.
- The laptop is powered by Core i5-6200U CPU at 2.3 GHz. This is a dual core CPU (4 threads).
- Laptop contains 1 stick of 8GB RAM (Kingston 2rx8 pc4-2133p). There is one more empty RAM slot available for memory upgrade. That is pretty good news. No need to replace both sticks of memory in order to upgrade RAM. All you have to do is buy another stick of similar 8 GB Kingston memory.
- Intel HD Graphics 520 (battery saver - lower performance).
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M Graphics (for higher performance).
- The PC will automatically decide when to switch between dedicated graphic or built in graphics card. It’s also possible to manually assign programs to either graphics card through software settings.
- Windows 10 Home 64 bit.
- OS drive - 128 GB of storage - LITE-ON model CV1-8B128 M.2 2280 SATA hard drive. (Sequential read/write max at 520/160 MB/s).
- Data drive 1 TB of storage - Seagate model ST1000LM024.
- No optical drive. Although there is space available to add one.
- Touch pad borrowed some of the functionality from Apple Macs (such as 2 finger scroll, pinch to zoom, 3 finger swipe). Extremely useful. People who are familiar with Macs will appreciate the touchpad.
- The keyboard is comfortable with decent feedback. Typing is easy and pleasant.
- Full HD display (1900x1080). Display is sharp.
- Laptop feels very light.
- The battery is built in (it cannot be replaced without opening the bottom of the laptop). I get about 7 hrs of mixed use on one charge. This includes Minecraft, web browsing and playing of YouTube videos. Full charge from exhausted battery takes about 2 hrs.
- 1 USB type C port available. However, unlike the competitor, this port cannot be used to charge the laptop.
- Good Wi-Fi card. No problem pairing and staying connected to my router.
- Here are some raw Winsat scores for the laptop:
MemoryScore - 7.5
CpuScore - 7.4
CPUSubAggScore - 7.5
VideoEncodeScore - 7.4
GraphicsScore - 5.2
Dx10SubScore - 9.9
GamingScore - 9.9
- One year international warranty.
Cons: - The PC was preloaded with some 3rd party software (Wildtangent Games, some ACER software etc. Several pre-loded desktop icons (auction site, Priceline etc). 30 day McAfee security Software trial was also preloaded and active.
- The display is better that majority of displays found within the price range of this laptop. However, do not expect Mac Book Pro quality display.
- I like the keyboard but I wish it was lit.
Other Thoughts: - Shipping from Newegg was very fast. There was no fancy or artful packaging. Rather, ACER decided to use money and resources to built a very nice and capable laptop for a very modest price. The setup was uneventful. I did take extra step to get rid of extra software and desktop icons that were preloaded. In the retrospective, I should have reinstalled windows from scratch, it would take less time to it. I then copied .minecraft folder from my aging Dell to my shiny brand new laptop. Before long, I was ready to play a round of Minecraft. The gameplay was smooth, there was no hesitation or jerkiness, even at native resolution. The fans never revved up, ever after a prolonged gameplay. The laptop never got hot, even after prolonged Minecraft gameplay. I then loaded Halo Renegade (a more graphic’s demanding game than Minecraft) from Windows App store and played a few rounds. The left side of laptop got pretty warm from gameplay. The fans were never too loud.
- Eventually, I turned off the laptop and took off 3 screws from the back. I gained access to M.2 SATA OS drive, 2 banks of memory (one of which is still unoccupied) and a standard 2.5 inch Data drive. To gain access to the battery or empty optical drive bay requires unscrewing the back cover (12 more screws). This machine gets kudos not only for performance but also for expandability.
- In the end, this is a great laptop and it is well worth its current price. It is light, performs quite well, hardware is easy to upgrade, and handles Minecraft like a champ at full resolution. You will not find better performance for the price.
This review is from: VIZIO - 38" 3.0-Channel Soundbar W/ Bluetooth
Pros: - Arrived quickly.
- Very nice sound from my Vizio TV and iPhone (bluetooth). The includes decent bass (surprising)
- Wall mounting brackets included.
- Vizio TV remote works nicely with this sound bar. Its easy to mute TV speakers and just use the bar with same remote.
- The only "out" connector is for subwoofer (purple jack).
- The "in" connectors are:
* optical line.
* digital (orange colored).
* Aux (headphone jack type).
* Aux (white and red analog).
- There is also a USB port.
Cons: - Need to read instructions to figure out input options.
Other Thoughts: - I mounted this sounder below my Vizio TV (which is mounted on the Wall). Sound is surprisingly good. I first played songs off my iPhone via bluetooth. I then used optical connection (cable is included) to play sound off tv. It took bit of research how to change input sources.
- The Vizio TV has an option to turn off the sound. The TV remote then controls sound bar while sound tv is off. Convenient.
- I am planning to use brackets that came with this sounder to mount the sounder on the wall.
- For the price, this is an awesome sound bar, especially if you also own newer Vizio TV
Pros: •Arrived quickly from Newegg.
•Arrived with lots of shock absorbing insulation.
•Formatted capacity: 465.8 GB.
•Drive is thinner than most mechanical 3.5 inch drives.
•Runs cool and quiet.
•Great mechanical drive for OS installations.
•Transfer Rate Minimum : 2.7 MB/sec
•Transfer Rate Maximum : 211.5 MB/sec
•Transfer Rate Average : 100.7 MB/sec
•Access Time : 22.3 ms
•Burst Rate : 91.8 MB/sec
Cons: - Low capacity for a mechanical drive.
Other Thoughts: •The Hard Drive is excellent when you measure it against other drives is the same class, that is, 3.5 inch mechanical drives with 500 GB capacity.
•I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on this drive for testing purposes. Compared to other mechanical drives I have recently used for OS installs, Seagate Barracuda took window installation very quickly. Other software loads up expeditiously from this hard drive. With that in mind, desktop users would be much better suited using an SSD drive for installing an OS and other software. The benefits of loading OS on SSD are undeniable. This hard Drive, although fast, will not be anywhere near as fast as even a slower SSD.
•On the other hand, with just 500 GB of capacity, this drive is not exactly spacious.
•I would recommend this drive for those who have modest data storage capacity needs and for those who do not mind waiting extra time for an OS or other software to load up.