This version of Canon's flagship image stabilized ultra zoom PowerShot has been wildly popular since the day it was released. Unlike the S2, the PowerShot S3 IS is a relatively minor upgrade to its predecessor, much more of an evolutionary change than a wholesale reinvention. The basic spec (aside from the sensor) is pretty familiar; 12x optical zoom, flip 'n' twist LCD, tons of photographic control and advanced movie mode with stereo sound. The amazing Canon DIGIC II processor optimizes image quality and makes image processing faster than ever, and the ultrasonic motor makes the zoom function almost silent.
With a full range of shooting modes for the novice, and precise control for the experienced photographer, this great addition to the Canon line is great in almost any shooting situation. Spontaneous video recording is available at the touch of a button, at 60fps for up to an hour. Still shots can even be taken while shooting video using the proprietary MovieSnap feature, making this a fully featured photographer’s dream in a compact model at an excellent price.
- 6.0 MegapixelThe feature-rich PowerShot S3 IS has 6.0 Megapixel imaging power for the high resolutions needed for big prints and close cropping.
- 12x Optical ZoomThe extra-long 12x Canon optical zoom is all contained in a sleek, compact design that embodies sophistication to closely capture intimate details.
- DIGIC II Image ProcessorCanon's DIGIC II Image Processor provides markedly faster startup, auto focus and playback for improved processing speed and image quality. DIGIC II assures more colorfully vibrant images.
- Image StabilizerCanon Optical Image Stabilizer technology ensures awesome-steady shooting with phenomenal picture clarity even when you are in motion.
- 16:9 WidescreenThe PowerShot S3 IS's widescreen resolution produces images and film clips perfect for a widescreen TV or computer monitor.
- ISO 800The PowerShot S3 IS features the new ISO 800 setting to negate the effects of camera shake and sharpens subjects in low-light situations with high shutter speeds for greater shooting flexibility.