Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Shark Rotator NV500 Lift-Away HEPA Bagless Upright Vac - Red
Pros: I cannot tell this is a reconditioned product. It was absoutley spotless when I received it. Great price at 130. It was $100 more on other websites. Delivery was fast even with free shipping.
Cons: None so far. I will see how it holds up in daily use.
Other Thoughts: The one I received was Blue...not that it matters to me.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible
Pros: It's like my Toyota Camry, it just runs and never gives me any problems
Other Thoughts: I wrote my original review of this power supply on 3/23/14. It's been running my FreeNAS box for 24/7/365 for 2 years with out a hiccup. So the longevity is there. Great for a low power build.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: It was inexpensive
Cons: Struggles with web browsing...see other thoughts...
Other Thoughts: I am using this as my "Windows 10 technical preview" box. So yes I knew I was setting myself up for some "geek" challenges...and it didn't disappoint. How ever, I have been able to get it running so it will work for Windows 10. A few tidbit’s from my lessons learned...
- As others have said, make sure your SO-DIMM ram (laptop memory) is 1.35 volt it will NOT boot on 1.5 volt memory.
- It will handle 8GB of ram just fine I used G.Skill F3-1333C9S-8GSL.
- It works well with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. I used a Samsung 840 EVO (getting RAPID mode to work was tricky, more on that below)
- Also as others have said for a Windows 7 install, go into BIOS and change to Windows 7. Default BIOS out of the box is set for Windows 8.
- Speaking of BIOS, I updated mine, there were some weird issues with the out of the box BIOS pertaining to how it reacts after a power failure. i.e. It locks up.
- I updated my BIOS to version F7 (the latest as of this review) that was the biggest pain of all. I really had to do some web digging on that one.
- Search for “how to flash/update bios on Gigabyte Brix” Look for the one written by Rasmus and follow it step by step. You will need a USB flash drive BTW.
- Use the Windows 8 drivers if you are installing Windows 10.
I used a Samsung 840 Evo I had as a spare from a previous upgrade. I wanted to use the EVO so I could enable Rapid mode, which is another reason I went with 8GB of ram vs 4GB. Windows 10 does not like rapid mode with Samsung Magician version 4.5. If you install Magician version 4.4 (or older I used ver 4.2) rapid mode will work.
I went through all this “pain” to try and make the Brix as fast as possible.
It’s ok for basic word and spreadsheet use. It struggles with web surfing. By struggles I mean... it does work... it loads web pages at a speed about the same as a standard spinning platter (old style) hard drive. If that’s what you’re use too and haven't made the jump to an SSD I doubt you will see much difference. I have gotten spoiled by the sheer speed of how fast an SSD loads things with a “decent” hardware. I did try 3 different browsers, Chrome, Fire Fox and IE. Ironically enough. perhaps due to it being Windows 10 it had it's best performance with IE..go figure..
It also gets hot, (no fan) particularly when web surfing 63C/145F. I used the Vesa mount to give if the best airflow. It gets even hotter when sitting on its rubber feet on a table.
Bottom line even with a BIOS update, lots of memory and a speedy SSD... It’s still a small Celeron dual core processor with out a lot of power. It’s ok but not great. Like all things in the electronic world...you get what you pay for, this was cheep and has performance to match it’s price.