This quiet fanless-design board is not for the novice kit-basher, but you don't need to be an uber-geek, either. It makes an excellent transition board, being compatible with both ends of the tech spectrum. It provides two PCI x 16 slots, one PCI x 1 slot and two regular PCI slots, supports up to 8 gigabytes of 240 pin DDR2 memory, a gigabit LAN interface, two IEE 1394 ports and up to 8 USB 2.0 ports.
It can control four internal SATA 3 Gb/s drives (which can optionally be set up in several RAID configurations) and one external drive, in addition to up to 4 regular ATA devices. It is Intel QuadCore compatible and is highly adjustable for the over-clocking crowd with controls for adjusting clock frequency, separate controls for Core, Chip and DIMM voltages, adjustable front-side buss frequency, and adjustable PCI Express frequency. What you can't adjust, you probably shouldn't touch anyway!
Especially for over-clockers and moderately experienced kit-bashers, this is a motherboard worth looking into.
The new Intel Ultrabooks are here! To learn more about the ultraportable, ultrathin notebooks, please visit our store page.
- NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ChipsetThe highly-integrated NVIDIA nForce 650i chipset supports the NVIDIA SLI, Native Gigabyte Ethernet, FirstPacket Technology and MediaShield Architecture for extreme overclocking and high-performance gaming.
- Intel Core 2 Processor SupportThis motherboard supports the next-generation LGA 775 Intel Core 2 processors, including the Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Core 2 Extreme. With new Intel Core microarchitecture technology, the Intel Core 2 processors are considered some of the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world.
- Ultimate Gaming Performance with NVIDIA SLI TechnologyWith NVIDIA SLI (Scalable Link Interface), a pair of GPUs deliver earth-shattering, scalable graphics power approaching twice the performance in certain applications.
- Q-ConnectorThe ASUS Q-Connector allows single-step connection and disconnection of chassis front panel cables with one complete module. This unique adapter ensures quick and accurate connections without the trouble of plugging cables in separately.
- SATA on the GoThe ASUS P5N-E supports next-generation Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s-based hard drives. The external SATA port located on the back I/O panel provides easy setup and hot-plug functions so you can backup photos, videos and other multimedia content on external devices with ease.
- Gigabit Ethernet ConnectivityThe ASUS P5N-E features a fast Gigabit network interface for high-speed LAN connections at up to 1000Mb/s data transfer rates with advanced security features to ward off malicious attacks. Gigabit LAN is ideal for supercharged seamless streaming of Internet audio and video content.