Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - ???
Cons: - SATA connector NOT ANCHORED
- all PCB components placed and soldered BY HAND
- several poor solder joints as a result
- two smears of solder on PCB surface
- button face doesn't even align with PCB button
Other Thoughts: After my call to Newegg was unceremoniously dropped and learned that Syba/IOCrest refuse to accept their responsibility for return shipping, I risked opening the device myself. The workmanship is quite poor, which was ultimately the cause of the bent SATA connector: had the connector been properly anchored to the PCB or housing, it wouldn't have become bent so easily. I carefully bent the connector back into position; those solder joints at least looked good. I used JB Weld to fill in the space between the connector and PCB edge; when that cures it will firmly hold the connector in place.
(I've just had a moment of doubt and terror, though, when I remembered that JB Weld has a very high iron content and in fact responds to magnets... I hope and pray it's not also electrically conductive and that it doesn't interact with the faint magnetic fields around the connector pins and cause trouble.)
Pros: - small, light, easy to carry
- doesn't require external power for many devices
Cons: - damaged on arrival
Other Thoughts: I belatedly got around to opening the box, intending to put it to its first use, but I discovered that the SATA connector is c0ck-eyed, bent down at an angle. It seems to work in spite of the obviously precarious situation, but I doubt it's trustworthy and if I disassemble it to assess the extent of the damage to the contacts and whether it's repairable it would void the 3-year warranty. I will shortly be begging for a belated exchange from Newegg.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: - inexpensive
- promises moderate gain in storage performance without
the extra cost or installation hassle of a typical SSD
- Mushkin products generally good quality, reliable
Cons: Bundled Nvelo Dataplex software that is really the whole point of the product has some showstopping "limitations" that Nvelo seems to be trying pretty hard to keep under wraps. It's incompatible with any motherboard that uses nVidia chipsets, most notably. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many of the people who have experienced severe problems with Dataplex and subsequently written negative reviews and comments about the products that use it had actually been affected by one of these limitations. For my part I discovered that limitation above in time to ask for a refund.
Other Thoughts: Here are the "limitations" as found at Nvelo's web site, on a page (http://www.nvelo.com/dataplex-download/mushkin/Limitations.php) that is merely hyperlinked on a page prior to download and not even explicitly displayed to someone downloading the software:
Please note the following limitations before installing Dataplex
1. The target drive must be the primary boot drive. Caching of a
secondary drive is not supported.
2. Only MBR (Master Boot Record) partitions are supported.
GPT (GUID Partition Table) partitions are not supported.
3. The Windows Reserved System Partition (100MB partition) must be
on the same HDD as the Windows installation (C:\Windows folder)
4. Multiple OSes are not supported.
5. There is no support for target drives > 2TB in capacity.
6. Only one cache drive is supported in a system.
7. There cannot be two identical SSDs in the system, one of which
is to be used as cache.
8. There is no support for RAID sets as the cache drive.
9. If after uninstallation of Dataplex, the system is restored to a
prior state in which Dataplex was installed, Dataplex will be
started in a disabled state.
10. The following configuration(s) are not supported:
- NVIDIA storage controllers
DISCLAIMER: NVELO may make changes to specification and product
descriptions at any time, without notice.
(c) 2012 NVELO, Inc. All rights reserved. www.nvelo.com