Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing) BOXNUC6I5SYH 2 x 260Pin SO-DIMM Intel Iris graphics 540 1 x full-size HDMI 1.4b 1 x mini DisplayPort 1.2 Aluminum and Plastic Mini / Booksize Barebone System
Pros: - Small footprint
- lots of processing power for the small package it runs in
- excellent for a family member who just does email, internet, and photo's and does not have a big work space... seriously 4x4 inches... Awesome!
Other Thoughts: ports for HDMI (full size thank you!) ... too close together if you in my case have a DVI to hdmi adapter and a Ethernet plug to use...
I got around it by removing the hood on the cable still this left the adapter putting a little pressure on the power plug
Drivers for device do not get auto-installed with windows | Seriously this was annoying to deal with as my desktop gear does it all automatically ... make sure you check your bios version to avoid the errors people have reported - I didn't experience but at time of this writing 0042 was most recent version...
My bios update via USB and the file in bios spooked me when the thing went so fast and the unit was off with a flashing orange light... I did not know what to make of it so i left it be for 15 minutes... then I took the chance and unplugged the power and pushed the power button and it came right up *thank heavens* ... suggest others go with the in OS update option to avoid this...
Noticed if I have a lot of usb plugged in sometimes the unit will not post... but if I unplug them leaving just the basics it is fine... not sure what to make of this but it is distracting
...I loading windows 10 onto this to give it to my sister and I will report back here on how it handles her...
...went with this build....
HyperX Impact 16GB (2 x 8G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model HX421S13IBK2/16
Item #: N82E16820104586
$71.99 (You can run 32GB but honestly for what this thing is that is overkill so I stuck with 16)
Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing) BOXNUC6I5SYH Aluminum and Plastic Mini / Booksize Barebone System
Item #: N82E16856102144
SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-N5E500BW
Item #: N82E16820147399
This review is from: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB XTREME GAMING OC EDITION
Pros: - can crank the visuals and shadows in almost everything without care with exception of my xplane
- 6GB of texture memory ensures you have plenty to spare if you sim regular games I don't expect you to hit memory pressure there even at 4k
- easy enough to control the fans... I just let it sit on auto
- you can easily add power tweaks live while gaming so you can see how far you can push the envelope with just a few clicks... I hate teh cost I had to pay on the card but I see considerable benefits that my 680 could not deliver anymore with only 2GB of video memory of all things.
Cons: - software doesn't have ability to add custom overclock profiles
Other Thoughts: - with the added performance boost the more fan noise you get
- I got this for XPLANE and even though this thing is top flight I still have to mind my settings... I on i7-3770 but the cpu is not taxed but if I throw on the high rest textured aircraft I can still make the FPS drop...
- I don't use SLI or see the need as I target 40 FPS in my sims everything else this card eats up and asks for seconds so if you are a flight sim person you cannot go wrong here... just be ready to spend a lot of time tweaking but you get a good payoff for sure
Still kicking here and looks like NVidia finally got the driver issues corrected as I was having so much crashing in games *stock clocks no O/C made no difference* ... a few driver revisions later it is running happily and I loving it...
Pros: - I bought four of these for my NAS and they are all performing 100%
- Honestly I would not go putting too much worry on this as seriously if they failed at all like how these people are saying I would have lost one by now and OH SNAP... I have not...
Almost 4 years of use in my QNAP and I started getting notices about the smart test failure on one of the 4... Already looking at expanding the array with a expansion unit but for what I paid I got my moneys worth out of these bad boys
Cons: - None .. bought four and all four workREAD FULL REVIEW