The day after Thanksgiving is not an official holiday but that hasn’t stopped millions of savvy shoppers from celebrating Black Friday — and I don’t blame them. With massive discounts on everything from smartphones to automobiles, waiting in line for several hours actually seems worth the effort. But as 147 million Americans wait in line today I have to ask myself one question: Is Cyber Monday better?
While many brick-and-mortar retailers also provide online deals on Black Friday, Cyber Monday is when e-commerce companies can offer even bigger savings. And the best part about it is you don’t have to wake up extremely early to wait in a long line. More people are starting to realize the advantages of shopping online and it’s not just about saving money either — there are several reasons why you could prefer it.
So which is better? Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Here’s how they compare:
The Pros and Cons of Black Friday
- You will find great deals
- You will save money
- You get a headstart on your holiday shopping
- You can bring your purchase home that day
- You can win prizes for waiting in line
- You have to wake up early
- You have to wait in long lines
- You have to spend time away from your family
- You may not be able to find what you want to buy
- You may have to take a day off from work
The Pros and Cons of Cyber Monday
- You can shop from wherever you are
- You don’t have to deal with large crowds
- You can spend the day with your family instead of shopping
- You can easily compare prices with other stores
- It takes much less time than going to a store
- A better deal could have been available on Black Friday
- The product you want could sell out over the weekend
- You have to wait for your purchase to be delivered
- You may not be eligible to receive discounts from certain websites
- Not all websites are trustworthy
Which is Better?
Both Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the best times of the year to shop for one simple reason: You will save money. And while recent trends suggest consumers are preferring to shop online on Cyber Monday, millions of people are still lining up on Black Friday. You really can’t go wrong with either option but there may be a reason listed above that persuades you to go one way or the other.
Newegg shoppers can be thankful we offer the best of both worlds. We have a Hybrid Center where you can find great deals on Black Friday and a trusted e-commerce website where you will save money on Cyber Monday. And while there are definitely pros and cons for both options, we’re curious to know which way you will shop this holiday season. So let us know by answering the poll question below: