With the Wolfdale core, Intel pours more power into the Core 2 Duo package. The 45nm process allows Intel to reduce power requirements to 65W. Lower power means less CPU heat, which translates to lower system heat and longer system life. They also pack more features into the chip.
The L2 cache has been bumped to 6MB and the Front Side Bus has been pushed to 1333MHz. You can now use both DDR2 and the hot new DDR3 memory for extreme performance. They also boosted memory access and execution speed with Wide Dynamic Execution and Smart Memory Access. These technologies work together to let the processor handle more instructions with more data per clock cycle. You'd better watch out -- your enemies will be shooting back faster now!
The Advanced Digital Media Boost feature has been enhanced with the addition of the SSE4 instruction set and Intel HD Boost, to give your entertainment experience better audio and video processing. It will also help with speech recognition, engineering and scientific applications. Most important of all is the enhanced security that comes with increased speed and encryption power.
- Specialized Dual-core MicroarchitectureThe Intel Core 2 Duo processor includes dual execution cores in a single processor to enable execution of parallel threads or applications simultaneously, resulting in revolutionary dual-core performance, breakthrough energy efficiency and exceptional system response time when running multi-threaded applications, or multiple demanding applications. The innovative 45nm fabrication technology optimizes thermal performance for reduced power consumption and noise.
- Intel Advanced Smart CacheIntel Advanced Smart Cache Technology dynamically allocates the shared L2 cache to each processor core based on workload. This efficient, multi-core-optimized implementation increases the probability that each core can access data from the fast L2 cache, resulting in significantly reduced latency for frequently used data and overall improved performance.
- Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T)Intel EM64T provides an enhancement to Intel 32-bit architecture by enabling the mobile processor platform to access larger amounts of memory. With appropriate 64-bit hardware and software, platforms based on an Intel processor supporting Intel EM64T can enable use of extended virtual and physical memory.
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST)EIST allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency to decrease the average power consumption and heat production. Combined with existing power saving features, EIST provides an excellent balance between supplying power when you need it and conserving power when you don’t.
- Execute Disable Bit (EDB)Intel's Execute Disable Bit function can prevent certain classes of malicious "buffer overflow" attacks when combined with a supporting operating system. Execute Disable Bit allows the processor to classify areas of the memory where application code can execute and where it cannot. When a malicious worm attempts to insert code into the buffer, the processor disables code execution, preventing damage or worm propagation.
- Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT)With Intel VT, one hardware platform functions as multiple "virtual" platforms. For business, Intel VT offers improved manageability, limiting downtime and maintaining worker productivity by isolating computing activities into separate partitions. In the home, Intel VT allows for the creation of unique user environments for different family members who are using the same platform simultaneously.