With the Wolfdale core, Intel pours more power into the Pentium package. The 45nm manufacturing tech allows Intel to reduce power requirements to 65W. Lower power means less CPU heat, which translates to lower system heat and longer system life. They also pack more features into the chip.
The L2 cache has been bumped to 2MB and the Front Side Bus has been pushed to 1066MHz. They also boosted memory access and execution speed with Wide Dynamic Execution and Smart Memory Access. These technologies work together to let the processor handle more instructions with more data per clock cycle. You'd better watch out -- your enemies will be shooting back faster now!
- Specialized Dual-Core MicroarchitectureThe Intel Pentium processor includes dual execution cores in a single processor to enable execution of parallel threads or applications simultaneously, resulting in revolutionary dual-core performance, breakthrough energy efficiency and exceptional system response time when running multi-threaded applications, or multiple demanding applications. The innovative 45nm fabrication technology optimizes thermal performance for reduced power consumption and noise.
- Intel Smart CacheIntel Smart Cache Technology dynamically allocates the shared cache to each processor core based on workload. This efficient, multi-core-optimized implementation increases the probability that each core can access data from faster, more efficient cache subsystem resulting in significantly reduced latency for frequently used data and improved performance.
- Intel 64Intel 64 architecture delivers 64-bit computing on server, workstation, desktop and mobile platforms when combined with supporting software. Intel 64 architecture improves performance by allowing systems to address more than 4 GB of both virtual and physical memory.
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST)EIST allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency to decrease average power consumption and average heat production, which means of enabling very high performance while also meeting the power-conservation needs.
- Execute Disable Bit (EDB)Intel's Execute Disable Bit function can prevent certain classes of malicious "buffer overflow" attacks when combined with a supporting operating system. Execute Disable Bit allows the processor to classify areas of the memory where application code can execute and where it cannot. When a malicious worm attempts to insert code into the buffer, the processor disables code execution, preventing damage or worm propagation.
- Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT)Increasing manageability, security, and flexibility in IT environments, virtualization technologies like hardware-assisted Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT) combined with software-based virtualization solutions provide maximum system utilization by consolidating multiple environments into a single server or PC. By abstracting the software away from the underlying hardware, a world of new usage models opens up that reduce costs, increase management efficiency, strengthen security, while making your computing infrastructure more resilient in the event of a disaster.